From legendary NYC comedy site Brooklyn Vegan: If you want to know what is happening in NYC comedy on a particular day, you gotta get hip to this dude Hy Bender and his site Best New York Comedy. The site is updated daily and features a super exhaustive look at what is happening in the NYC comedy world that particular day. The site is updated religiously…It is your daily comedy itinerary and it scares me how on top of his shit this guy is.
I’m Hy Bender, an author with over 25 years of publishing experience. I’ve written 16 books under my own name, including five Dummies books, a Complete Idiot’s Guide, and an interview book with Neil Gaiman about comic books. I’ve also written several books as a ghostwriter, two of which placed on The New York Times Bestseller list, and one of which reached #16 on Amazon.com.
I’ve also done theatre reviews for The New York Times Arts & Leisure section; business writing for such organizations as Morgan Stanley, Reuters, and NYMEX; and humor articles for periodicals ranging from American Film to Advertising Age, and from Spy to Mad Magazine.
I love comedy, and typically see over 200 comedic stage shows a year. This blog, which is updated daily, provides an at-a-glance list of my picks for the best live comedy playing every night in New York City. Most of the shows are $10, $7, or free.
Shows are listed in chronological order.
Before the description of a show you may see any of the following:
- [FREE]: This show is absolutely free. Some shows—especially at UCBT—may request that you toss at least $1 into a bucket on your way out, but that’s optional.
- $: This show costs more than $12. You will see this for any comedy club, even if it’s charging nothing for the cover price, because a two-drink minimum with tip will be at least $13.
- [DISCOUNTED]: This show is being offered at a discount via a code. Sometimes the code is exclusive to you as a reader of my sites—such as HyReviews, which refers to this blog’s bigger sister site HyReviews.com.
- [TOP PICK]: This show is likely to be especially good.
- [MEGA-TOP PICK]: This show is likely to be utterly amazing. (You’ll see this only once in a while.)
For details about a show’s location, please click the name of its venue.
To learn more about any show, please click the title of the show (near the end of its description).
To see my NYC comedy picks for any previous night (back through October 2008, when this blog began), simply locate and click the date you’re after using the calendar on the right.
I run this BestNewYorkComedy.com blog and the HyReviews.com site simply because I love comedy. However, I also run two for-profit services.
When you need a winning book proposal, world-class editor, or a bestselling ghostwriter, please visit BookProposal.net.
And when you need a movie script or TV pilot analyzed, rewritten, or ghostwritten, please visit HyOnYourScript.com.
This blog is thoroughly updated every morning, so please feel encouraged to visit it frequently.
And please feel encouraged to reach out to tell me about comedy shows, hire me for book or screenplay work, or for any other reason by emailing me at email@example.com.